Saturday, January 23, 2016

Closing of a chapter...

It is official! As the stoma is now closed, so is the chapter of the past 6 years of artificial "help" in plugs, wires, tubing, pumps, bags, devices, ...!! The surgery was a great success and I am FREE!! God has led me down a long road and though the journey is far from over, it is at a time of jubilee and rejoicing!

Yesterday was a long day for waiting for the call to surgery, but the call finally came around 2:30pm and off I went. I met the surgical team in the OR and was able to share my story with the few that hadn't heard already and was even sharing some recipes! Before going down for surgery, I had written a short poem and had taped it to my colostomy bag for the OR team to read. It read as follows,....

"It's time to put it down beneath. 
My stoma is being closed up, you see.

Since my transplant, it has been good to me,
But now the time has come to be. 

Please don't weep, but rejoice,
For this for me, is a better choice."

Laughter is like medicine, I believe! And I sure wanted a surgical team feeling their best while I was under.

After surgery, I was in recovery until pain was under control with my array of allergies to so many medications. Once managed, I was back in my room upstairs for a good nights rest. Zzzzzzzz

Today has been another great day! A few walks down the hall and easing back into my normal diet has been the goal. Liquid food ("full liquid") diet has been good to me for today. Tomorrow maybe something to chew!

No comments: